Christ Church, Trivandrum, which was consecrated in 1859, is the oldest church in the city. Set in sylvan surroundings, it is centrally located in the Palayam area, between the Chandrasekharan Nair Stadium and the University Stadium, and with the Kerala Legislative Complex on one side and the arterial Mahatma Gandhi Road on the other.
The Church itself is an elegant building, built in the Gothic style, with beautiful stained glass windows portraying The Good Shepherd. The windows on the walls depict the twelve disciples (and their symbols) and others associated with the life of Jesus. The antique furnishings include the Pulpit, the Altar, the Lectern, the brass altar railings, and a beautiful carved teakwood screen.
The cemetery in the churchyard has over a thousand graves, including those of about 200 Europeans. The oldest grave is dated 6th October 1814, 45 years before the Church was constructed.
The Church has a membership of over a thousand families, and there are three services every Sunday morning, in Malayalam, English and Tamil, and a morning service on Fridays.
The Church and its surroundings are neatly maintained through the enthusiastic efforts of the Vicars, Church Committee, Church Organizations, Church Staff, and other members, as a mark of our gratitude to God for having made it possible for us to inherit such a beautiful Church and for His many other mercies.